You have heard me rave about my favorite band and the focus of Neil’s lyric skills. He is, however, one of the greatest drummers, no, greatest percussionists of all times. Back in the early days he was called The Professor after Geddy Lee once introduced him as “The Professor on the drum kit”. Please watch how this man plays, and notice the way he “triggers” sounds to create a drum solo that is a song itself.
- Hall of Fame: 1983
- Best Rock Drummer*: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 2006, 2008
- Best Multi-Percussionist*: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986
- Best Percussion Instrumentalist: 1982
- Most Promising New Drummer: 1980
- Best All Around: 1986
- 1986 Honor Roll: Rock Drummer, Multi-Percussion
- (* – As a member of the Honor Roll in these categories, he is no longer eligible for votes in the above categories.)
- Best Instructional Video: 2006, for Anatomy of A Drum Solo
- Best Drum Recording of the 1980s, 2007, for “YYZ” from Exit…Stage Left
Here he is performing one of his legendary solo’s at the age of 65 in Frankfurt, Germany.